How hard is it to be a cook and a mother with young children?

September 22, 2017

Five professional cook discuss how having children changed “peoples lives”, in the kitchen and at home

Margot Henderson

Margot, 52, co-owns Rochelle Canteen and catering company Arnold& Henderson in Shoreditch, east London. She and husband Fergus Henderson have three children together: Hector, 22, Owen, 21 and Francis, 17

Id known Fergus for five months when we got married and 3 months later Hector was conceived. We were having a great time together cooking at the French House and I continued working hard, but that got increasingly depleting. My legs were dedicating out at the stave and I wanted to be in bed at midnight rather than cleaning down a kitchen. I recollect calling a lot.

None of my children were born precisely; they were all caesareans. I was hopeless at the birth component. Yet the breastfeeding was wonderful and I fed all my bubs for a year. But very soon after each arrived, if the staff was short at the restaurant, Id be in the kitchen with a kid strapped onto me, and it ran from there. Its hard to keep your career going in a kitchen when youre having newborns, if you believe that to be a good cook you should be cook all the time. The other cooks had to understand that part of their chore was having nippers around their feet. I think they brought life and exhilaration to the kitchen. There were sharp knives around and everything else but I didnt genuinely mind. I believed, If they burn themselves, they burn themselves. Theyll cry but theyll learn.

When Fergus went off to set up St John, he was doing doublings as head cook and then after run hed run have a few liquors and whenever we didnt have a babysitter I was stuck at home with the babe. I smashed a lot of clocks, hurling them at Fergus when he got home. Id induce, for example, roasted pumpkin, sausage and brown rice for me and the children, and then get them up to bath and bed, and if Fergus was home in the evening Id have another dinner with him. Perhaps his lovely roast chicken and simmered parsley sauce. When I started Rochelle Canteen[ with Melanie Arnold ], it wasnt open in the evenings, which constructed things easier, although there was a lot of rushing across town to school and back at 2.30 pm. We operated the business in a flexible road and our children was ever a problem there. But there were two calling children in the Canteen yesterday and I said, Thats enough! You have to pick them up and the mum said, We cant do that at the moment and the papa said, Its not their pick up day at the moment. Unbelievable.

Im trying to think what the best thing about being a momma is. Not all the washing after getting back from run, thats for sure. I suppose the glorious thing is that you feed these interesting thing who become your new bunch of buddies and you love hanging out with them. Well, sometimes you bloody dont, plainly, but theres an unconditional love which is amazing.

All the children have said, If everything is wrong with you in my chosen career, I can still has become a cook, Mum. But I never want them to be cooks because its the incorrect hours and incorrect schedule. Daytime is for living and the nighttime should be for putting your feet up or going out to lovely eateries and having other people cook for you. JH

Margots ginger crunch

When I was two, my mother was transformed into a health nut. All white flour and sugar used to go the door and was replaced by brown flour, molasses, carob, cider vinegar and honey. My sister Nicky and I craved sugar and would knock on the doors of our neighbours hoping their Tupperware containers were full of cooking. I suppose my cook started through desperation actually: I required sweet things.

So as soon as Mum left me, at the tender age of 10, babysitting for a few hours, I reached for Edmonds Cookery Book every house in New Zealand has one and searched for something that we had the ingredients for. We had them all, though once I started to attain the cookies they then asked for cream, butter and sugar. Not understanding this key baking process, I took the cream off the tops of our bottles of milk. Sadly, when Mum returned there was a sloppy, messy concoction coming to meet us out of the oven.

I then learnt to construct them and they became one of my top cookies. A great treat at the end of dinner with your coffee.

This recipe is based on one from the Edmonds Cookery Book; I simply add a bit more ginger.

Makes about 24
butter 125 g
sugar 110 g
plain flour 225 g
cooking powder 1 tsp
ground ginger 2 tsp

For the icing
butter 100 g
icing sugar 125 g
golden syrup 4 tbsp
ground ginger 3 tsp

Preheat the oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4. Grease a 20 cm x 30 cm sponge roll tin.

In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the dry ingredients and mixture until a fine crumb. Pour into the tray and press down evenly. Cook for 20 minutes, until light brown.

Meanwhile, construct the icing by melting all the ingredients together over a medium hot, bring up to a simmer.

When the base comes out of the oven pour the icing over. Leave for a moment and then slice into thumbs while still warm.

Keep in an airtight container.

Olia Hercules

Olia, 32, grew up in Ukraine and Cyprus before operating as a cook de partie at Ottolenghi. She is the author of Mamushka, and the forthcoming Kaukasis the Cookbook: the Culinary Journey Through Georgia, Azerbaijan& Beyond. She has a son, Sasha, four

Olia and Sasha at their home in London. Photo: Alex Lake for the Observer

Before I got pregnant Id been working long hours in eateries such as Ottolenghi. Id felt instead down during that period, but get pregnant, I dont know if it was hormonal or mental, I genuinely needed it. After the initial 3 months of tiredness, I felt genuinely energetic while pregnant. It gave me a personal drive which Id lacked before. In fact, it has really changed my life. I often say that if it wasnt for Sasha and he was a astound I wouldnt have achieved what Ive attained since.

I was cooking on Sundays in a tavern kitchen in Bethnal Green until three weeks before giving birth. It was a somewhat tight space so I had to get savvy about navigating my belly around. On weekdays I was working as a food squad intern at Sainsburys Magazine , testing recipes. I felt I could suffer anything after so many hard nights, scarcely find the sunshine, coming into work in wintertime at 6.30 am, being in a kitchen cellar and get off at 1am. After that, giving birth was easy .

Six months after having Sasha, I started to do catering and recipe development work. Then, when he was one, I got a full-time undertaking at the company Recipe Kit. It helped that I had a really good childminder who knew my situation. But then Recipe Kit shut down, the unrest was under way back in Ukraine and I was here, pretty much unemployed and splitting up from Sashas dad. It was the most horrendous time.

I started research projects in my kitchen: record and cook and feeding to Sasha the dishes of my mother and grandmothers. One night I detected myself having to write a proposal for Mamushka by morning, so I define Sasha to bed and spent seven hours listing 100 recipe titles and composing the intro prose and 12 full recipes. In two months, I operate from being completely in the shit to having a volume bargain .

I thrive on pressure and since having a child, if theres lots of things to do I merely get on with them. My bread and butter is food styling and when Im cooking on the job its quite handy because I can bring food home. Meanwhile, Im doing events and scheming my third volume. I still cook in eateries but simply for a week each month, doing take-overs. When it gets really busy, my mother comes over from Ukraine and helps, because its impossible doing 18 -hour shifts.

Sasha chops veggies, induces sauces and savors throughout our cooking together. Hes crazy about inducing flapjacks and chocolate pizza topping, and he lately started rinsing up dishes, unprompted and with gusto. I hate cooking, but he cooks with my mother when she visits. Sasha also cooks when he decides his father, who is Thai-Laos, and I imagine picks lots of herbs for him hes started reaching borscht with the addition of ginger and chilli. After a 10 -year wait, Ive just got a council allotment, up at Alexandra Palace, and Sasha wants to grow his own broccoli, cauliflower and strawberries.

The only way I could see myself having a eatery is if we lived above it. I know many eateries that make sure theres a 50 -5 0 divide of men and women have a chore. And theres a great deal of women who want to get into the business and have the balls to do the hours, but they need an arrangement where they can come to work at 9.30 am and go at 3pm to pick up their children. But I think you can run a business and be kind and decent. If I ever have a eatery, I will be very accommodating to mamas. JH

Olias chicken and swede in garlic butter

I always think of Blackadder when I think of swedes and turnips. Giggles aside, they are some of the most unsung, beautiful root vegetables. Theyre also cheap and shouldnt only serve as filler. Try dedicating them another life; induce them the superstar. The chicken recipe is based on the first dish my mum has in the past taught me how to cook the Georgian poussin tabaka. I was 14 and I burned the hell out of it. Ive got a little better since then .

Youll need to spatchcock a chicken by reducing alongside its backbone, then flattens with the palm of your hand quite ferociously the flatter the chicken, the more contact it will have with the pan. If there are four of you, use the whole bird; if its only two, like me and Sasha, cut alongside the breast bone and use only half. You can freeze the other half.

Serves 2
vegetable oil 2 tbsp
organic chicken
swede or turnip , sliced into wedges
butter 80 g, softened
garlic 5 big cleaves, peeled and finely grated or crushed
lemon grated zest of
flaky ocean salt

Preheat the oven to 200 C/ gas mark 6. Pour the petroleum into a medium baking tray and pop it in the oven to heat up really well.

When the petroleum is really hot, add the chicken bone-side down and pop it into the oven for 5-10 minutes along with the root veg. You want the bones to start colouring, releasing their flavors all over the roasted tin, ready to be picked up by the butter when you add it subsequently to create an intense chicken and butter sauce.

When the chicken seems properly brown on the cut side, season the scalp and flip the chicken over and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the skin starts to turn golden brown. Dont forget to give the veggies a turning, too.

While this is happening, mash the butter with the garlic, lemon zest and a generous pinch of ocean salt. When the chicken is nice and brown all over, lower the oven heat to 160 C/ gas mark 3. Dot the butter all around the roasting tray and encompass everything with some cooking parchment or foil, followed by another tray. Then set something heavy( like a heavy casserole dish) over the chicken and set it back in the oven. It is( literally) a little bit of a balancing act, and you need to have the rack at the very bottom of the oven. If you cannot be bothered with any of this, simply encompas with foil and roasted for 30 minutes uncovering for the last 5 minutes. You wont get as many chicken juices mixing into the sauce, but thats OK, especially if you are knackered after a long day.

After 25 minutes, take the weight off the chicken and pull at its leg. If it is giving and pull-able and there is no blood, it is ready. You can flip it over and dedicate it another five minutes on high hot to crisp up the scalp, or perhaps you cant be bothered. Serve it with a lovely bitter foliage and orange salad and some crusty bread or simple boiled rice. If you have tired soft herbs in the refrigerator, chop them up finely and add to the sauce this is so good for dipping situations.

Hlne Darroze

The 50 -year-old chef de cuisine of three eponymous eateries in Paris, at the Connaught in London and in Moscow has two adopted daughters: Charlotte, aged nine, and Quiterie, seven

Charlotte, Hlne and Quiterie at the Connaught. Photo: Alex Lake for the Observer

I always knew I wanted to have children, and to adopt children as well. When I was a adolescent I asked my mum why she hadnt adopted children. She said she was worried she wouldnt love the child as much as she loved me and my brother. I wanted to have biological ones as well, but it didnt happen because I didnt find “the mens” for that. But even with biological children, I wanted to adopt. I dont know why.

I was 40 when I had Charlotte, the first one, and I couldnt have done it before then. At that age, I could delegate a bit more: I was ready to delegate. Your late-2 0s and 30 s are very important for a chef. This is the time that you have the techniques and you can express yourself. You are mature enough to know which kind of food you want to cook.

This induces it very difficult for many females. I have had a lot of very talented women in my kitchen. A plenty. Sometimes, I imagine this one could be the next great cook. But all of them, they stopped because they wanted to be a spouse and a mum. And the fact is you want to be a mum at the age when you have to give the best of yourself as a cook so its difficult to manage.

I had only my eatery in Paris when Charlotte arrived. Then, just a few months later, the Connaught came to me and said: We want you as a cook. I was just back from Vietnam with Charlotte, so I said: No, its not for me. But, as soon as I said it, I regretted it. I believed, Oh my God, you are making a big mistake. So I rested over Christmas and decided to take over the Connaught. Then, soon after, I launched everything to have a second newborn.

It voices a little complicated, but for me its very simple: thats our life. I try to do my scheming three months in advance, though it does change a lot and often. The two main eateries are in London and in Paris, so thats where I share the time. Until May 2015, we lived in London, but now, for the moment, we are based in Paris, that is where Charlotte and Quiterie going to see school. But that could change. If you asked my daughters where do they prefer to live, theyd say: We dont mind. We love the two cities. They can speak the two languages and when they play together they play in English, even when we are in Paris.

Every morning, I wake up with them to have breakfast and to get them garmented. After that the nanny takes them to school and, Im genuinely honest with you, I go back to bed for an hour! Because usually Im never in bed before midnight or 1am. When Im in bed at midnight its a good day. When Im in Paris, I always try to come home when they get back from school, so between 5.30 pm and 7pm. Of course, sometimes it is difficult to leave the house in the evening, but they know during the course of its week I have to concentrate on operated. And, touch lumber, for the moment, I have two beautiful children who are so balanced and so happy.

My girls will always be the priority for me. The weekends are for them and so are the holidays. When I have to work on Saturday night, they come with me. I have an office simply in front of the pass in the kitchen and they are spoiled by my squad. They can eat whatever they want; homemade pizza is their favourite.

Some guests, when they come into the kitchen to ensure me, are a little bit surprised to watch Charlotte and Quiterie. But for me, it is very normal. My household owned a restaurant in south-west France, and I always say that I was born in a kitchen. Born in a pan. The other day, the little one said to me that she wanted to be a chef. But do you know why? It was because she wanted to be on Top Chef , a Tv show that Im a magistrate on in France. I said to her: Im not sure thats a good reason to do that But of course if thats the career they favor, Ill support them on that. TL

Hlnes Connaught crumble

The daughters, especially Quiterie the little one, love to cook disintegrate because last year I did a tart masterclass with her class at school. I set a lot of fruit( fresh and dried ), and toppings like chocolate pearls and crystallised violets on a table. Then they designed their own, choosing the garnish they wanted. The crumble is easy to prepare and to spread, which is also why the children like it.

For the fill, you will need a total of 1.2 kg fruit. You can use the ones indicated below, or your favourite.

Serves 8
For the crumble
butter 80 g
plain flour 80 g
ground almonds 80 g
caster sugar 80 g
fine salt 1 pinch

For the fill( 1.2 kg in total)
pineapple 1, peeled and cut into slices
strawberries 200 g, cleaned, dried, hulled and halved
apples 2, peeled, cored and cubed
banana 2, peeled and sliced
nectarines 2, rinsed, dried, stoned and each cut into 8 pieces
extras such as cereals dipped in dark chocolate, crystalised violet flowers, roasted hazelnuts, roasted almonds, pistachio nuts, dried cranberries, to taste

Place the butter, flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt in a bowl, then run the concoction with the tips-off of your thumbs to build the crumble texture. Leave this concoction to remainder in the refrigerator for at the least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4. Let everyone choose 150 g fruit that they would like to use, and place in 8 individual ovenproof dishes or ramekins. Now selection some other ingredients from the listing of nuts and extras to go with the fruit and sprinkle them on top of the fruit in the dish. Encompass the fruit and extra fill with the crumble mixture. Alternatively, you can make one large crumble.

Place the disintegrate in the oven and cook for approximately 20 -3 0 minutes or till nicely browned. Serve warm with vanilla custard or ice cream.

Romy Gill

Romy, 44, lives in Thornbury, Gloucestershire, where shes chef-owner of Romys Kitchen. Last year, she was awarded an MBE. She has two daughters, Neev, 11, and Reet, 13

Reet, Romy and Neev at home in Thornbury. Photo: Alex Lake for the Observer

On our first date, my husband Gundeep took me to an Indian eatery where the food was terrible. Right there and then I advised him, Im going to open my own place one day. We wedded and he made chips the computer ones while I ran in accountancy. After our first daughter Reet was born, I didnt return to accounts payable and it was the best thing that ever happened. I get seriously into cook, baking and inducing savoury things, while Reet lay on her pink play mat.

When our second daughter Neev was seven or eight months old, I admitted to Gundeep that Id been looking around for a property in Thornbury to convert to a eatery. A plenty of people supposed I was mad to open Romys Kitchen here, rather than in Bristol, but I wanted to be within operating distance of the children and home.

The first year was depleting. Every day, Tuesday to Saturday, Id be at the restaurant from 9am until 1am or 2am, then wake up at 6am to stimulate packed lunches, iron clothes and prepare for the children get up. I still do that. Most afternoons at the restaurant Ill construct something for their evening snack, maybe a fish tart or spaghetti bolognese, and pop home with it around 4.30 pm.

On Saturday night, once every four or six weeks, I have what amounts to my social life. My friends come to eat at the restaurant and after service I let my hair down and have a glass of wine. Then Sunday is my day off I sometimes dont get up until 7.30 am or even 8am.

There are many times when I guess, My marriage is falling down the drain. The venison curry special is wonderful but I never assure their own families. Gundeep will make it right because hes a very positive person, whereas I can be hot-headed.

As a woman, I dont suppose I could have succeeded with Romys Kitchen back in India. There, reality cook demonstrates seem lately to have built the situation worse theyve dedicated females the impression its very glamorous and easy, when its not possible to operate a eatery without ability, capital, the subsistence and understanding of family and the ability to carry on when feeling wholly knackered.

What sometimes upsets me is that our daughters are very close to Gundeep now hes both their daddy and mum the majority of cases. Thats a good thing, because Indian daddies dont usually want to look after their children, but I do get jealous. They ask, Dad, can I go on a sleepover? rather than Mummy, can I go on a sleepover? As a woman, as a momma, I find that quite hard. Gundeep knows every child friends birthdays, while I havent got a clue.

Recently, Reet said, I want to be a Victorias Secret model. I said, OK, but you love your food and you love junk food and sweets you wouldnt be allowed all that. Five minutes later she came back and said, I dont want to be a Victorias Secret model. Once she turns 14 shell help at the restaurant at weekends to make some money, because her a requirement for make-up and iPhones have grown, and Ive told her, Youve got to earn. By working here, shell be able to see more of her mum, so well both be wins. JH

Romys masaledaar gosht

Sitting on the veranda chatting with Mum and putting the world to rights: memories are to cherish and I still chat with Mum and talk about how I used to find any excuse to run away from the kitchen and simply came in from playing cricket or badminton when the food was ready.

Mum used to make this mutton recipe every month and I now make it for their own families; the girls help me make it. Its something everyone can cook, and a rich to pass down from household to household.

Mutton is tough, it requires slow cook on a low hot to induce the meat tender and juicy. Marinading helps to bring out the flavor, and browning helps seal in the juices.

Serves 5-6
mutton 1kg( leg ), diced
malted vinegar 3 tbsp
sunflower petroleum 6 tbsp
ginger 2 tbsp, grated
garlic 2 tbsp, grated
shallots 8-10 medium, finely chopped
tomatoes 5 medium, diced
tomato puree 1 tbsp
green chillies 4, finely chopped
red chilli powder 1 tbsp
turmeric powder 1 tbsp
garam masala 3 tbsp
desiccated coconut 50 g
coconut milk 100 ml
hot water 600 ml
salt to taste
fresh coriander for garnish

Marinate the diced mutton in the malted vinegar and set aside.

In a deep pan, hot 5 tablespoons of the petroleum on high hot for a minute, add the ginger and garlic and cook until light brown. Then add the shallots, cooking on medium hot for 8-10 minutes until dark brown. Maintain stirring and be careful not to catch the bottom. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and green chillies, mix well, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Add the red chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, desiccated coconut and salt and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.

Meanwhile, in another frying pan, hot 1 tablespoon of petroleum on high heat, then add the marinaded diced mutton and cook until browned. Add the mutton to the above paste.

Add the coconut milk and water. Bring to the simmer, covering with a eyelid and cook on low hot for an hour, stirring occasionally. Sometimes it might take a bit longer, depending on the nature of the cut of the meat.

Garnish with coriander and serve with paratha and pickles.

Shuko Oda

The 35 -year-old head chef and co-founder of Koya Bar in Soho, London has a daughter Kotoko, who is 16 months old

Shuko and Kotoko at their home in London. Photo: Alex Lake for the Observer

Becoming a mama, strangely, really made me want to work again. I think its either one route or the other; I grew up in a household where my mother stayed at home. I supposed I might enjoy that, but actually I merely realised I genuinely, truly love my job.

I stopped running 2 week before my due date. I enjoyed working when I was pregnant: Im so used to being on my feet and operating physically, if I hadnt done it I would have gone crazy. My belly get quite big, so it was a bit tight in our small kitchen. Id forget it was there sometimes and think, I can go through that gap, and Id get stuck.

I guessed Id take four or five months off, but I objective up taking seven, because its such a precious hour and I wanted to breastfeed Kotoko until then. During my leave I went out a lot with the newborn. As a chef youre always running when everyone else is going out, so it was an excellent time to catch up with people. Id go for lunch to Rochelle Canteen and Im good friends with Florence Knight she has a three-month-old baby and a one-a-half-year-old so I satisfied up with her a few hours. Its nice to chat about cook and babies.

I was provoked and nervous when I came back to run, but it all is coming straightaway. I was tired, but being active assistance. If I had a desk endeavor I guess Id be asleep, but talking to people and taking orders preserves you going. Sometimes Ill be in the back to do some office operating and I find myself get pretty tired. But now Im not breastfeeding and back to full caffeine, that helps.

Were open for breakfast, so I used to start at 7.30 am, but because I want to spend the time with my daughter I take her to the childminder. I get to Koya Bar at around 9am, and finish before the evening rabble arrives. Of course, I happen to be the boss, so its easier for me, but I dont find why anyone else cant petition something like this to their head cook. For instance, we have a prep shifting in our rota where one person starts in the morning and finishes by 5pm. Something like that could exist in every kitchen. Having a squad is all about the balance of these things.

We plan to open up another eatery this year, so it will be really busy again and Ill have to ask my husband, Nick, to commit more to our child. But he should be OK with that. My mother is the typical Japanese salaryman: I dont think he ever changed my nappy, whereas Nick, who is English, was doing that from day one.

Im definitely happier since I had Kotoko. Whatever has happened during the day, when I go and pick her up and shes really happy to see me, it blows everything away. And now I have someone who depends on me: I want to make sure I do a good undertaking and I induce delicious food and be successful at what I do. Its important for me to be happy and proud of what I do, and for her to see that. TL

Shukos sea bream zuke-don with soy pickled yolk

My family moved around quite a bit throughout my childhood, which entail Japanese food wasnt always as accessible as we wouldve liked. However, LA was great in this respect, we always had excellent fish delivered to our doorway by a Japanese fishmonger human in a van, who visited all the local households every week and my mother would regularly get fresh tuna and bream from him.

This is a recipe Ive accommodated that reminds me of those days in LA but with a little bit of my own savor added. You can get all the Japanese ingredients in grocery store, such as the Japan Centre or Japanese Kitchen, or

Serves 4
soy sauce 100 ml
egg yolks 4 good healthy golden ones
mirin 1 tbsp
cooking sake tbsp
shaved bonito 2g
Japanese rice 300 g( at the restaurant we use Minori)
ocean bream 4 fillets, boned and skin removed
nori, spring onion, shiso, sesame to garnish

For the soy yolk, pour 2cm of soy sauce into a receptacle big enough for the 4 yolks. Carefully place the yolks in the puddle of soy sauce. Leave to pickle for at the least one hour and up to 48 hours. The longer you pickle, the more solid the yolk is likely to be, so a quick pickle will give you a runny yolk, a long pickle will give you a candy-like texture

For the zuke brine, hot the remaining soy sauce, mirin and sake in a saucepan. When it is just about to boil, add the shaven bonito snowflakes, lower the hot to minimum and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Take off the hot and let it sit for 1-2 hours, then sieve this through a colander.

For the Japanese rice, cook it according to the instructions on the packet or complete the following tips-off, utilizing the ratio of 1:1 for rice and water.

First, rinsed the rice in a bowl. The initial rinse should be in plenty of water. Quickly stir right from the bottom of the bowl, then throw away the water.

Then, stir the rice in more water approximately 20 days in the same direction. It is important to be quick, then squeezing, but dont crush, the rice. Drain. Repeat this 3 times and drain the water completely.

In a saucepan, soak the rice in an equal volume of water for 45 minutes.

Give the rice a little pat so its flat in the water, put a lid on, and place on full hot. When it starts simmering and the lid starts to move, turn away the hot to minimum and continue cooking for 10 -1 5 minutes. Keep the eyelid on at all times.

With the eyelid still on, turn off the hot and let it rest/ steam for another 10 -1 five minutes. There should never be excess water at the end.

Take off the eyelid and give the rice got a couple of stirs with a wet wooden spatula – if you damp the spatula, the rice wont stick as much to it and its easier to clean subsequently!

For the sea bream, slice each fillet with a sharp knife against the grain of the fisheries sector, in approximately 5mm thick slices.

Place all the bream slicings flat on a wide plate, pour over the zuke brine and marinate for 4-5 minutes.

Prepare a garnish of your penchant, such as hand-torn nori, in a serve bowl, defined a portion of rice, a tablespoon of the zuke brine dribbled on top, then nori and thinly sliced shiso. Place the bream separately next to each other and once again pour over a tablespoon of zuke brine,

Carefully take out a yolk and place it in the middle, sprinkle spring onion and sesame to finish.

Read more:

About the Author

Leave a Comment: