Stop Monday From Ruining Your Sunday
Do you have any of the following symptoms? Sense of dreaded during brunch. Cold sweats at children birthday parties and soccer games? Feeling that the weekend wasnt long enough? Temptation to call in sick?
What causes the Smondays *? We all love our tasks, of course. Still, youve likely felt anxiety sneak up out of nowhere during the waning hours of the weekend. That all-consuming Sunday fogunavoidably and forevermore known as the Smondaysis actual fear, says neuroscientist Daniel Levitin, author of The Organized Mind: Reasoning Straight in the Age of Information Overload . We love the freedom of the weekend, he tells. Whats happening in your brain is that a structure “ve called the” amygdala, the seat of fear, get fired up and releases stress hormones in anticipation of that freedom vanishing. Clinical psychologist Kevin Chapman, who specializes in treating phobias and panic, tells the physical symptoms of this anxiety can include everything from restlessness, sweating, muscle tension, and headaches to sleep disorders, a racing heartbeat, and stomach distress.
This is the opposite of what happens on Friday afternoon, when feel-good mood-regulating neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin inundation our brains as we anticipate the weekend. Call it the Fri-yays, if you must.
Take Back Your Sunday
A comprehensive plan for finishing the weekend strong
5 p. m .: Organize yourself
Before leaving run, create a Monday-specific task list, set necessary files front and centre, and put in session reminders, tells professional organizer Peggy Duncan. When youve schemed your time for the next week, she tells, you can start out fresh.
Night: Get to bed
While you may never have known life without weekends, theyre fairly new on the evolutionary scale. Your body and brain want a fixed schedule, Levitin says. It keeps your biological rhythms in sync. Tempting as it may be to stay up until 4 a.m.or sleep until noonits healthiest to maintain about the same sleeping-waking hours as you do during the week.
Before 11 a.m .: Do your chores
Leaving hated tasks until Sunday will only reinforce your depression, tells Cassie Mogilner Holmes, a happiness researcher and associate professor of marketing at UCLA.
Afternoon: Happy supposes
If you have to show up at something you arent thrilled about, whether its a never-ending neighborhood association session or your kids 600 th Little League game, Chapman suggests trying one( or all) of these tactics:
1. Distinguish that the event isnt causing your dreadyour interpretation of the event as dreadful is.
2. Repeat a short, somewhat positive statement about the event, such as, It wasnt that bad in the past.
3. Realise the event is transient. It wont last forever.
Dinner: Keep it small
The weekends midpoint also tends to be its high pointwhich means its all downhill from here. Still, there are advantages to throwing your weekend dinner party on Saturday night, including the ability to prep during the day and leave cleanup until tomorrow. Whats a would-be host or hostess to do?
1. Keep the party size from four to eight people, which will feel boisterous but not huge.
2. Your cranky neighbors might have had you over last week, but dont feel the need to return the favor right away. Concentrate on inviting people wholl assistance fill the air if the conversation runs dryyou can always watch Mr. and Mrs. Whiner during the week.
3. Conventional hosting wisdom would tell you a dinner party isnt the time to try out a new recipe. We say thats silly! Devote everyone something to talk about with your try at cooking a pork butt.
4. Dont be afraid to kick everyone out when youre ready. If youre too polite to ask people to leave, turn off the musictheyll get the hint.
Before noon: Brunch right
The midmorning meal can easily devour your Sunday, so a brunch at 10:30 a.m. is better than one two hours later, tells Leah Smith, co-founder of LA Brunchers, an online guidebook. Registered dietitian Stephanie Clarke, co-owner of consulting service C& J Nutrition, says to go easy on the booze and be sure to include a protein such as eggs or yogurt. Thatll help you avoid the sharp spikes and fells in blood sugar that give you that I only want to sleep all afternoon feeling.
If youre stimulating brunch at home, try this flexible frittata recipe from Everything I Want to Eat , by Jessica Koslow, founder of Los Angeless famed breakfast hot spot Sqirl 😛 TAGEND
Vegetally Versatile Frittata( for two)
1 large carrot, cleaned and sliced into -inch coins
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt
tsp. ground cumin
3 large eggs
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
Fleur de sel
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Add 1 tbsp. of the petroleum to a small pan set over medium hot, then add the carrots. Add a pinch of salt, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, until the carrots are tender, about five minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the cumin, another pinch of salt, and the remaining olive oil. Mash with a fork.
Crack the eggs into a bowl and add 2 pinches of salt, then whisk in the carrot pure. Melt the butter in a 6-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high hot. Add the egg-carrot concoction, stir for 15 seconds, then move the skillet to the oven. Precisely 8 minutes later, check on the frittata. It should look slightly puffed and firm around the edges. Finish with a pinch of fleur de sel and a squeezing of lemon. Not in a carrot mood? Try greens with nutmeg or squash with herbs.
Afternoon: Get out
People cut their weekends short psychologically, says UCLAs Mogilner Holmes. Sunday evening should be when you have really fun things to do. Try a few of the following activities to extend your weekend mindset:
1. Scheme a group outing. People report that theyre the happiest when theyre engaging in activities that involve others, Mogilner Holmes tells. Even a phone date with a friend helps, as long as you frame it as a special occasion.
2. Dedicating your time to others constructs you feel like you have more of it, according to a 2015 examine in Psychological Science . When you do things for others, you feel very effective, Mogilner Holmes says. Get out and volunteerit will give you a confidence boost when youre seduced to sink down in the dumps.
3. Your notion of relaxing may be watching Netflix, but impressions of depression are most common when people arent particularly active. Workout, go for a drive, visit a museum, or just go to a movieanything to help you forget about the looming workweek.
6 p. m .: Reach out
Before you start settling into your evening, text your close co-workers. Even if youre simply sending pictures of your kids from the weekend, it induces it easier to jump into conversation with them on Monday, tells Ben Waber, chief executive officer of Humanyze, a behavioral analytics company.
Wee hours: Start a journal
If you maintain thinking about what you have to do on Monday, write it down. You always want to get out of your head when you can, Duncan says. If youre guessing generally about the horrors next weekend brings, its better not to record that. If youre drawing attention to the bad stuff, its going to make you focus on it, Mogilner Holmes says.
Should you( voluntarily) is currently working on Sunday ?
Sometimes it seems like a good idea to crush an hour of work on Sunday, so youre not so slammed on Monday. If its simply catching up on e-mail, dont do it. Even if you get your in-box to zero, in a few hours more e-mails will pop up, Mogilner Holmes says. But if youre trying to make time for creative work, like writing or a side project, go for it. When youre not rushed, you can make it a positive, pleasurable indulgence, she says.
Try a stretching class to help ease back into work :
Stretch at New York Pilates in SoHo
Move through a sequence of lengthening exerts on the Reformer, the pulley-and-spring system unique to Pilates.
Stretch Therapy at Equinox in Aventura, Fla .
A class in active isolated stretching, which use such tools as ropes and bands to lengthen major muscle groups repeatedly for short periods of time. StretchLab in Santa Monica and Venice, Calif .
Trainer called flexologists move, prod, and pull clients into deeper bendings and wider splits.
* Smondays isnt an actual illnes. We arent actual doctors. Dont ever take medical advice from us .
Read more: www.bloomberg.com