Watch How She Makes Onion Rings Even Better With One Unique Ingredient
I love vegetables. Raw, baked, steamed, or grilled, they are always delicious. But my all time favorite veggies have a nice crispy crunch, and nothinggets them crispier and crunchier than giving them a little flash fry!
We have tried out the crispy fried zucchini that blew us away, and even traded out avocado for potatoes to make some awesomely delicious avocado fries, but this recipe takes an old classic, onion rings, and makes them even better by adding one no so obvious ingredient.
Using some instant mashed potatoes (yes, you read that correctly), these onion rings get a nice crispy outside that you’ll love so much, you won’t ever think of ordering these out again!
To see how to make them at home, watch the video and check out the ingredient list and simple steps below.
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp.instant mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp. herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- 2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 medium onionsseparatedinto rings
- Canola oil to fry, enough to cover 2 inches
- In a shallow bowl whisk together 1/2 cup flour, corn starch, instant mashed potatoes and herbs.
- Whisk in buttermilk and let the mixture thicken while you cut the onions.
- Pour panko crumbs into second shallow dish and flour for dredging into a third.
- Fill heavy bottomed pan with 2 inches of canola oil.
- Dip onion ring into flour, then the batter and coat well.
- Coat each ring with breadcrumbs.
- Drop onion rings immediately into hot oil. Brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on wire rack over sheet pan.
This is one secret ingredient we would never think of adding, but it really works!
If you plan to use this secret ingredient in this recipe and others, please SHARE!