Astounding health benefits of Cow Milk
Cow’s milk( CM) and dairy products represent basic foods for human nutrition and growth, being unique sources of energy, nutrients, calcium, proteins, and vitamins. CM formula is usually the first food introduced into an infants’ diet when breastfeeding is either not possible or insufficient to cover nutritional needs.
Cow’s milk contains, on average, 3.4% protein, 3.6% fat, and 4.6% lactose, 0.7% minerals and renders 66 kcal of energy per 100 grams.
The average composition of cow milk constitutes 3.5% protein (8 0% caseins, 20% serum proteins ), 3-4% lipid( triglycerides ), 4.6% carbohydrate( lactose ), 1% mineral salts( calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium ), vitamins( especi ……………..
Properties and Benefits
Snigdha- unctuous, oily
Bahala- dense, thick
Picchila- slimeness, stickiness
Effect on Tridoshas: reduces Vata and Pitta but Increases Kapha. click here for more information about Tridosha
Prasanna- calming, clarity
Rasayana- rejuvenating, anti aging
Medhya- Brain tonic, improves intelligence
Balya- improves strength and immunity
Stanya- improves lactation
Sara- laxative, promotes motion of liquids in channels
Improves Ojas- Ojas is taken into account because it is the factor responsible for immunity of the body.
Uses, benefits and application
1) Cow milk in Ayurvedic oils- In processing many petroleums, where the oil is desired to have nourishing and rejuvenating impacts, milk is added and processed along with oil and other herbs.
used for massage against degenerative illness like Osteo arthritis,
used to calm burning sensation,
used to heal nerve irritation and nerve pain.
used to nourish and strengthen muscles and ligaments.
2) Milk boiled in copper alleviate vayu, in gold it alleviate pitta, in silver it alleviates kpha and in bronze it promotes blood.
3) warm milk may be consumed with sweet tastes such as rice, cream of wheat, dates, and almonds.
4) In order to digest milk properly, one should avoid drinking cold milk right out of the refrigerator. Milk should be brought to a boil. Allow the milk to foam up, and then bring the heat down so the milk is on a slow boil for about 5 to 10 minutes. Heating the milk changes its molecular structure so it is much easier for human consumption, and it reduces Kapha, building it lighter to digest. While cooking it, you may add a pinch of ground turmeric, a pinch of ground black pepper, a cinnamon stick, or a few pinches of ginger to reduce the heaviness of the milk and reduce any mucus-causing side effect. According to ayurveda, milk offer special and unique nutrition that cannot be derived from any other type of food.
5) Shirodhara with Cow milk- Shirodhara is a procedure, where a continuous stream of liquid is directed uniformly over the forehead region. Milk is used in cases where Vata and Pitta are involved. Like- headache and dizziness, which mainly have Vata and Pitta imbalance.
6) Garlic processed with milk, used in digestion problems.
7) person with lack of sleep and many sleep related problem, should take cow milk along with Nutmeg at bed time.
8) Milk( 32 components ), honey( 4 proportions ), sugar( 2parts ), ghee( 1 component ), pippali( 1 proportion) – churned with the help of stirrer and given to patient to drink, will cure irregular type of fever, heartdisease, cough and phthisis( Panca Sara ). If hoarseness of voice is because of loud speaking take milk boiled with drugs belonging to Madhura gana, mixed with sugar and honey. While with madhura varga useful for patient suffering from fainting.
9) The powder of amalka or the paste of Badri or Saindhava fried with ghee, should betaken along with cow’s milk in the form of linctus cures hoarness of voice and cough.
10) The milk with turmeric help in alleviating the pain and healing of fracture, Intoxication caused by dhatura is cured by milk, mixed with sugar.
11) Candsur mixed with milk and added with ghee and sugar remedies stiffness of lumbarregion and sciatica. Four palas of cleaned and dried garlic shouldbe added to eight hours of milk and waterand boiled till the mil ………………
Cow’s milk incompatibility
Milk along with sour substances and sour fruit is not recommended.
Milk along with horse gram is not recommended, because milk is a coolant and Horse gram is hot in nature.
After consuming green leafy vegetables and radish, drin …………….
Further read on following link
1) Nutrients. Published online 2019 Jul 27. PMCID: PMC6 723250
2) Bhaisajya Ratnawali
3) Research& Reviews: Journal of Dairy Science and Technology. ISSN: 2319 -3 409. Volume 3, Issue 3
4) IndianJournals. The Indian Cow July-Sept ., 2007
5) Yoga Ratanakar
6) Sushruta Samhita
8) Charaka Chikittsa
9) JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF NUTRITION
10) Bhojana kutuhalam
13) Local tradition and knowledge